Wednesday, December 7

John Lennon


"I don't intend to be a performing flea any more. I was the dreamweaver, but although I'll be around I don't intend to be running at 20,000 miles an hour trying to prove myself. I don't want to die at 40." - John Lennon

Twenty-five years ago Thursday a lunatic shot John Lennon dead. Do you remember where you were when you heard about it? I do...I was just 7 years old and didn't know anyting about the Beatles, but I remember feeling sad. Lennon was born just a day or two after my Daddy, and I remember thinking how it wasn't right for someone to die that young (age 40).

Here is an article about his legacy. Also, if you get a chance, read the book "John" by his first wife, Cynthia (Julian's mother). Although I have tremendous respect for John Lennon as an artist, don't count me among those who idolize the man. He was a genius, but he was also a pretty screwed-up individual.



Here's another quote from Lennon about his years at home raising Sean--wonder why I like this one?

"I've been baking bread and looking after the baby...Everyone else who has asked me that question over the last few years says. 'But what else have you been doing?' To which I say, 'Are you kidding?' Because bread and babies, as every housewife knows, is a full-time job. After I made the loaves [of bread], I felt like I had conquered something. But as I watched the bread being eaten, I thought, 'Well, Jesus, don't I get a gold record or knighted or nothing?'" - John Lennon

0 had something to say: